Outreach & Workshops
Churchill Center & School’s Sandra K. Gilligan School Partnerships & Outreach Program is essential in strengthening our mission of fostering greater understanding and support for all people with learning disabilities by training other educators, supporting families, and enlightening the community.
Since the inception of our Community Outreach Program in 1990, more than 37,500 educators, parents, students, and other supporters have been given the opportunity to experience and broaden their understanding of learning disabilities.
We offer Teacher Workshops, Parent Workshops, Student Workshops, Community Service Events, and a Speaker Series. Each one of these programs offers our community a variety of services to recognize learning disabilities and to then equip the participants with strategies and knowledge to offer further assistance.
Reviews from Outreach Program Attendees:
- “What a great role model Churchill Center & School is for our community.”
– Educational Program Director
- “Please accept my gratitude for your willingness to come and speak with our staff. There’s a lot of exciting things happening with study skills — a daily “organizational tip of the day,” teachers actively teaching study skills, and many more ideas brewing.”
– Middle School Director
- “You had a positive impact on me when you presented at our school, and I am still using your references.”
– High School Principal
- “Faculty members found the topics to be pertinent and directed to their needs and concerns.”
– Learning Consultant
- “The speakers were fascinating and I am avidly reading their book, Overcoming Dyslexia. I am very impressed with the knowledge base of the teachers at Churchill as well as their dedication and professionalism!”
– St. Louis Area Psychologist
- “Both presenters were terrific and all in attendance left with a wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm to begin a new school year.”
– Elementary Principal
Sign up to receive email updates for upcoming events
CHURCHILL CENTER & SCHOOL'S EDUCATOR SPEAKER SERIES WITH...
Dr. Robert Brooks & Rick Lavoie!
"SQUARE PEGS/ROUND HOLES: HELPING THE CHILD WHO STRUGGLES WITH LEARNING...AND LIFE."
Presented by the Steve & Ginny Orthwein Family Fund and the Margaret & Richard Riney Family Foundation Fund
Friday, April 21, 2023
9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Churchill Center & School
This daylong seminar will focus on the complex challenges facing teachers today. The speakers will provide information and inspiration designed to enable teachers to better understand and handle daily obstacles to student learning, social and emotional, and their progress.
In order to reach and teach struggling students, school personnel should:
Develop a deep and abiding philosophy that informs their classroom strategies and approaches
Possess a knowledge base related to the causes and consequences of learning disorders
Possess a collection of effective strategies that assist students.
This seminar will discuss and demonstrate these three concepts, based on the speakers' decades of experience as teachers, school leaders, clinicians and consultants.
Dr. Robert Brooks, PhD
Internationally recognized psychologist, speaker and author on the themes of resilience, motivation, school and work climate, and family relationships.
Rick Lavoie, M.A., M.Ed.
Award-winning expert in learning disabilities who has three degrees in Special Education, served as an administrator of residential programs for children with special needs for 30 years, and has served as a consultant for numerous publications and national organizations.
Questions? Contact Outreach Director Mary Brotherton at email@example.com
MAKE PLANS TO ATTEND THIS SPECIAL, IMPORTANT EVENT!