Community Service Events
We offer various events to many different constituencies in the St. Louis community who need or want more information related to learning disabilities.
Our annual College Opportunities Fair for LD/ADHD connects area high school students and their families with college and university personnel who address their specific questions as they journey through the collegiate process.
Wilson® Parent Workshops are offered four times a year for interested parents, educators, or community members who would like to learn more about the research behind the Wilson Reading System® program and why it works. Experience Dyslexia®: A Learning Disabilities Simulation created by the Northern California Branch of the International Dyslexia Association allows participants to truly experience what dyslexia is and how it makes you feel.
As they become available, movies are screened on the topics of learning disabilities and dyslexia. The annual American Iris Society Show sponsored by the Kirkwood Iris Society is held in May. Participation is open to our Churchill Center & School students as well as the local community.
For more information on Churchill’s Community Service Events, check out our upcoming events below or email Mary Brotherton at email@example.com.
Reviews from Community Service Attendees
- “I found the event to be very helpful. We found several new college options, plus a lot of helpful general information. I think this is an outstanding community service for the school to provide.”
– College Opportunities Fair Parent Attendee
- “I love the fact that all the activities were hands on. They made me realize how challenging school can be for these children.”
– Experience Dyslexia® Participant
- “I felt the frustration my students must feel.”
– Experience Dyslexia® Teacher Participant
Sign up to receive email updates for upcoming events
WILSON READING SYSTEM® INTRODUCTORY COURSE (4th EDITION)
WHEN: Tuesday, October 22, Wednesday, October 23 and Thursday, October 24, 2019 from 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. each day
WHERE: Churchill Center & School | 1021 Municipal Center Drive Town & Country, MO 63131
The Wilson Reading System® (WRS) is a comprehensive remedial program for students in grades 2 - 12 and adults needing intensive intervention. This 16.5 hour introductory course provides hands-on practice and application of skills with the WRS Lesson Plan to effectively begin implementing the program. It serves as the prerequisite for WRS Level I Certification.
• Reading research
• Principles of language structure
• How the WRS addresses the five areas of reading
• Definition of dyslexia and common characteristics
• WRS principles of instruction
• Program implementation
• Student placement, progress monitoring and scheduling
• Creating a successful classroom environment
Participants prepare a 10-part lesson plan and practice lesson procedures
Cost: $675.00 per person (Lunch is NOT provided. Lunch is on your own).
Materials are not included. All materials can be purchased directly from Wilson Language Training® at www.wilsonlanguage.com. A WRS Introductory set is recommended.
To register with a Purchase Order, please contact Director of Community Outreach Mary Brotherton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-997-4343.
Cancellation/Refund Policy: Refunds for cancellations will only be issued if cancelled seat can be filled - less a $50.00 processing fee.
Hotel Information: Contact the Marriott Des Peres in West County directly to book a room (314-339-7500). Ask for the Churchill rate of $149.00 per night.
For further questions or concerns, please contact Director of Community Outreach Mary Brotherton at email@example.com or 314-997-4343.