Community Service Events
We offer various events to many different constituencies in the St. Louis community who need or want more information related to learning disabilities.
Our annual College Opportunities Fair for LD/ADHD connects area high school students and their families with college and university personnel who address their specific questions as they journey through the collegiate process.
Wilson® Parent Workshops are offered four times a year for interested parents, educators, or community members who would like to learn more about the research behind the Wilson Reading System® program and why it works. Experience Dyslexia®: A Learning Disabilities Simulation created by the Northern California Branch of the International Dyslexia Association allows participants to truly experience what dyslexia is and how it makes you feel.
As they become available, movies are screened on the topics of learning disabilities and dyslexia. The annual American Iris Society Show sponsored by the Kirkwood Iris Society is held in May. Participation is open to our Churchill Center & School students as well as the local community.
For more information on Churchill’s Community Service Events, check out our upcoming events below or email Mary Brotherton at email@example.com.
Reviews from Community Service Attendees
- “I found the event to be very helpful. We found several new college options, plus a lot of helpful general information. I think this is an outstanding community service for the school to provide.”
– College Opportunities Fair Parent Attendee
- “I love the fact that all the activities were hands on. They made me realize how challenging school can be for these children.”
– Experience Dyslexia® Participant
- “I felt the frustration my students must feel.”
– Experience Dyslexia® Teacher Participant
- “The simulation helped me better understand my students. I learned it’s not about working harder, but teaching differently.”
– Experience Dyslexia® Teacher Participant
- “The simulation helped me as a parent better understand how my son learns. It was very eye opening! Now I really understand the frustrations he must face on a daily basis.”
– Experience Dyslexia® Parent Participant
Sign up to receive email updates for upcoming events
15TH ANNUAL COLLEGE OPPORTUNITIES FAIR:
Monday, February 24, 2020 from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
You are invited to attend Churchill Center & School's Annual College Opportunities Fair! This event is open to ALL area high school students and their families.
The fair is for colleges to showcase their programs and services available for LD and ADHD students, and to give students a chance to explore their options in a smaller, more intimate setting.
School representatives will be available in individual rooms so families can visit at their own pace. Reps will be available to speak about their school's featured services, admission criteria, what makes them unique, to answer questions and more.
Come whenever you want and stay as long as you need!
*** Sometimes the larger college fair atmosphere can be overwhelming and it is hard to know what questions to ask - especially about learning disability services. Our event allows for better communication between schools and prospective students. ***
Walk-ins welcome. RSVPs are preferred.
Below is the list of current schools attending Churchill Center & School's 15th Annual College Opportunities Fair. Additional schools will be added. Check back for updates!
• Eastern Illinois University - Charleston, IL
• Fontbonne University - St. Louis, MO
• Lindenwood University - St. Charles, MO
• Missouri State - Springfield, IL
• Murray State - Murray, KY
• OPTIONS Transitions to Independence - Carbondale, IL
• St. Louis Community College - Meramec - St. Louis, MO
• Southeast Missouri State - Cape Girardeau, MO
• Southern Illinois University - Carbondale, IL
• University of Central Missouri - Warrensburg, MO
• University of Missouri - Columbia, MO
• University of the Ozarks - Jones Learning Center - Clarksville, AR
• Westminster College - Fulton, MO
WILSON READING SYSTEM® 4th EDITION INTRODUCTORY WORKSHOP Reading System®
Tuesday, April 14, 2020- 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Wednesday, April 15, 2020- 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Thursday, April 16, 2020- 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Courtyard by Marriott West County
12815 Daylight Drive
St. Louis, MO 63131
The Wilson Reading System® is a comprehensive remedial program for students in grades 2-12 and adults needing intensive intervention. This 16.5 hour introductory workshop provides hands-on practice and application of skills with the WRS Lesson Plan to effectively begin implementing the program. It serves as the prerequisite for WRS Level 1 Certification.
Cost: $675 per participant. Bring your own lunch.
Materials are not included. All materials can be purchased directly from Wilson Language Training®.
* FULL ATTENDANCE at all three days is required in order for you to receive full credit for the course. *