Outreach & Workshops
Churchill Center & School’s Outreach Program is essential in strengthening our mission of fostering greater understanding and support for all people with learning disabilities by training other educators, supporting families, and enlightening the community.
Since the inception of our Community Outreach Program in 1990, more than 31,000 educators, parents, students, and other supporters have been given the opportunity to experience and broaden their understanding of learning disabilities.
We offer Teacher Workshops, Parent Workshops, Student Workshops, Community Service Events, and a Speaker Series. Each one of these programs offers our community a variety of services to recognize learning disabilities and to then equip the participants with strategies and knowledge to offer further assistance.
Reviews from Outreach Program Attendees:
- “What a great role model Churchill Center & School is for our community.”
– Educational Program Director
- “Please accept my gratitude for your willingness to come and speak with our staff. There’s a lot of exciting things happening with study skills — a daily “organizational tip of the day,” teachers actively teaching study skills, and many more ideas brewing.”
– Middle School Director
- “You had a positive impact on me when you presented at our school, and I am still using your references.”
– High School Principal
- “Faculty members found the topics to be pertinent and directed to their needs and concerns.”
– Learning Consultant
- “The speakers were fascinating and I am avidly reading their book, Overcoming Dyslexia. I am very impressed with the knowledge base of the teachers at Churchill as well as their dedication and professionalism!”
– St. Louis Area Psychologist
- “Both presenters were terrific and all in attendance left with a wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm to begin a new school year.”
– Elementary Principal
Sign up to receive email updates for upcoming events
Please join us for this very important Wilson Reading System® Workshop for all parents!
Topics to be addressed will include:
• Brain basics
• Why Wilson works- 10 critical points
• What does this mean for my child
* Reservations requested. *
Please RSVP to Mary Brotherton at email@example.com
This workshop is open to the public. There is no fee to attend.
Monday, July 16 - Wednesday, July 18
8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. every day
This 3-day workshop provides strategies to improve all aspects of Wilson Reading System® group instruction through hands-on practice and discussion, and prepares participants for the WRS Group Mastery Practicum. The workshop examines the specifics of each WRS Block, with an increased focus on vocabulary, comprehension and fluency instruction.
PREREQUISITE: WRS Level 1 Certification*, Bachelor's degree in education or related field.
* If you are currently enrolled in a WRS Level 1 Practicum, you MUST have completed Level 1 Word Study Online Course (WRS Steps 1-6) in order to register for this workshop.
Upon completion participants will be able to:
• Identify factors for successful WRS Group Instruction.
• Review the planning for and execution of WRS Lesson Block 1, 2 and 3 for maximum group success.
• Develop a word-conscious lesson.
• Understand the role of spelling in writing fluency.
• Determine how to incorporate complex text, both literary and informational text structures.
• Understand and practice important aspects of fluency instruction with Wilson Fluency®/Basic.
To register with a P.O., please contact Mary Brotherton at 314-997-4343 or firstname.lastname@example.org