Outreach & Workshops
Churchill Center & School’s Sandra K. Gilligan School Partnerships & Outreach Program is essential in strengthening our mission of fostering greater understanding and support for all people with learning disabilities by training other educators, supporting families, and enlightening the community.
Since the inception of our Community Outreach Program in 1990, more than 37,500 educators, parents, students, and other supporters have been given the opportunity to experience and broaden their understanding of learning disabilities.
We offer Teacher Workshops, Parent Workshops, Student Workshops, Community Service Events, and a Speaker Series. Each one of these programs offers our community a variety of services to recognize learning disabilities and to then equip the participants with strategies and knowledge to offer further assistance.
Reviews from Outreach Program Attendees:
- “What a great role model Churchill Center & School is for our community.”
– Educational Program Director
- “Please accept my gratitude for your willingness to come and speak with our staff. There’s a lot of exciting things happening with study skills — a daily “organizational tip of the day,” teachers actively teaching study skills, and many more ideas brewing.”
– Middle School Director
- “You had a positive impact on me when you presented at our school, and I am still using your references.”
– High School Principal
- “Faculty members found the topics to be pertinent and directed to their needs and concerns.”
– Learning Consultant
- “The speakers were fascinating and I am avidly reading their book, Overcoming Dyslexia. I am very impressed with the knowledge base of the teachers at Churchill as well as their dedication and professionalism!”
– St. Louis Area Psychologist
- “Both presenters were terrific and all in attendance left with a wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm to begin a new school year.”
– Elementary Principal
Sign up to receive email updates for upcoming events
FUNDATIONS® LEVEL K WORKSHOP
WHEN: Wednesday, June 26, 2024
TIME: 8:30 AM - 3:00 PM
WHERE: Churchill Center & School
1021 Municipal Center Drive | Town & Country, MO 63131
PRESENTED BY: The Sandra K. Gilligan School Partnerships & Outreach Program
COST: $320 per registrant (lunch on your own)
Fundations® utilizes a structured literacy approach grounded in the science of reading to make learning to read fun while laying the groundwork for lifelong literacy. The program’s research-based approach and extensive materials allow K–3 teachers to confidently present a carefully structured reading, spelling and handwriting curriculum using engaging, multisensory techniques. Fundations® is aligned with the science of reading and guides teachers to provide effective instructional practices.
A STRUCTURED LITERACY APPROACH GROUNDED IN THE SCIENCE OF READING:
Upon the completion of the course, participants will be able to-
• Identify the skills taught in Fundations: phonics and word study, vocabulary, high frequency/trick words, fluency, comprehension strategies, handwriting, spelling and punctuation.
• Understand the principles of instruction: explicit, sequential, and cumulative instruction that engages multiple learning modalities with multisensory instruction, repetition, and immediate, specific feedback.
• Identify and understand the use for all materials in the Fundations Teacher’s Kit and have a sense of how to find and use the many extended resources available on the Prevention/Early Intervention Learning Community for Fundations (membership included with participation in this workshop).
• Use the Teacher’s Manual to prepare a daily learning plan and practice lesson activity procedures.
• Visualize the flow and pace of a full Fundations lesson completed with fidelity.
As a Wilson® Accredited Partner, Churchill Center & School has been reviewed by Wilson Language Training® (WLT) and meets their standards of excellence in the delivery of their programs.