Outreach & Workshops
Churchill Center & School’s Sandra K. Gilligan School Partnerships & Outreach Program is essential in strengthening our mission of fostering greater understanding and support for all people with learning disabilities by training other educators, supporting families, and enlightening the community.
Since the inception of our Community Outreach Program in 1990, more than 37,500 educators, parents, students, and other supporters have been given the opportunity to experience and broaden their understanding of learning disabilities.
We offer Teacher Workshops, Parent Workshops, Student Workshops, Community Service Events, and a Speaker Series. Each one of these programs offers our community a variety of services to recognize learning disabilities and to then equip the participants with strategies and knowledge to offer further assistance.
Reviews from Outreach Program Attendees:
- “What a great role model Churchill Center & School is for our community.”
– Educational Program Director
- “Please accept my gratitude for your willingness to come and speak with our staff. There’s a lot of exciting things happening with study skills — a daily “organizational tip of the day,” teachers actively teaching study skills, and many more ideas brewing.”
– Middle School Director
- “You had a positive impact on me when you presented at our school, and I am still using your references.”
– High School Principal
- “Faculty members found the topics to be pertinent and directed to their needs and concerns.”
– Learning Consultant
- “The speakers were fascinating and I am avidly reading their book, Overcoming Dyslexia. I am very impressed with the knowledge base of the teachers at Churchill as well as their dedication and professionalism!”
– St. Louis Area Psychologist
- “Both presenters were terrific and all in attendance left with a wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm to begin a new school year.”
– Elementary Principal
Sign up to receive email updates for upcoming events
WILSON READING SYSTEM® GROUP INSTRUCTION OPPORTUNITY
Looking for high quality, effective reading instruction for your child from an experienced, certified Wilson® Level 1 instruction?
Churchill Center & School is currently accepting inquiries for students in grades 2 - 8 to be part of a Wilson Reading System® (WRS) group.
Churchill, a Wilson® Accredited Partner, will begin working with a small group of students (3 - 4) in early September using WRS through our Tutoring Services Program.
We are looking for students who have significant decoding difficulties to receive four, weekly, 60-minute lessons for nine months (110 tutoring sessions).
We are seeking students of similar age, grade and cognitive ability to form a group. Sessions will occur Monday - Thursday from 7:00 a.m. - 8:00 a.m. Dates will be finalized once a cohesive group is found.
WRS is designed for students in grades 2-12 and adults who have a language-based learning disability, such as dyslexia, or who have not internalized the sound-symbol system for reading and spelling.
WRS aligns with guidelines from the International Dyslexia Association (2008), which recommends that students with dyslexia receive:
• Explicit, direct, cumulative, intensive and focused instruction on the structure of language
• Multisensory learning using visual, auditory and kinesthetic-tactile pathways to enhance memory and learning of written language
• Consistent links made between the visual, auditory and kinesthetic-tactile pathways in learning to read and spell
Tutoring will be offered at a significantly reduced rate.
*** To be considered for this program, please complete the form in the provided link to begin the application process. ***
Questions? Please contact Sandra K. Gilligan School Partnerships & Outreach Program Director at email@example.com.